Friday, September 3, 2010

A day in the life of....

Most days start with Jesus time.  I get up, fix some tea and snuggle down into my big chair tucked into the quite corner of my bedroom.  I have my Bible, two journals, my ipod and my colored pens.  There is also the occasional book and stack of blank notecards. Sometimes I have the joy of having the whole morning to myself, other days I get to share it with one of the "babies".  (I wonder if we will ever stops calling the last to babies?)

After Jesus time, is breakfast.  Most mornings it is cereal.  We by boxes and boxes of it when we are in Kampala once a month. Mainly Kellogs Corn Flakes, but Kent and the big girls like this granola type cereal. On weekends we have the "special" cereal : Cocoa Pops.  We usually make pancakes once a week and of course there is always eggs!
As you can see, we love the master mix recipie and the pancakes we make from it. After breakfast we have God time. God time is the family devotional time, which is different from personal Jesus time. Right now we are in Genesis. After we pray it is off to the school room. 

We do all the group stuff first.  Then the big girls work on their books while I help the babies with their books.  When Curly Sue is done with her assignments for the day, she and Sunggle bug head to the living room for playtime.  I have to be careful, otherwise I will sit and work till way past lunch time!  If the girls don't need much assistance, then I will work on a projet of some kind. I can't stand not having something to do, but I try not to leave the school room. If  I leave, the girls usually will start playing, so I try and stay as much as possible.

Lunch.... Untill recently lunch was either: leftovers, rice or a sandwhich. Sandwhiches are either PB&J's or tuna.  However, last month we discovered yummy lunch meat in Kampala, so we can now add that to the menu. With our sandwhiches we have one or two of the following:  pickles, fruit, popcorn, chips, carrots or the occasional cookie.

Afternoons vary depending on the day, most are filled by finishing school, washing dishes, preparing for supper, and my favorite activity: crafting. On Wedendays  I take a Boda Boda (motercycle taxi) into town and spend time with Miriam, our children's church teacher. We talk about the next lesson, and then we will go and visit some of the children from church at their homes.  Today I scheduled a weekely Bible Study for Friday afternoons with my neighbor and her friend. That will be a fun time!!

Evenings, after supper are usuallly spent taking baths, playing games, watching movies or reading a book. There have been many nights when the power is out and Mommy reading a book it the only source of entertaiment.  We really enjoy those nights.

Saturdays are chore days. We usually do one or more of the following tasks:  sweep and mop, clean bathrooms, scrubb bathmats and rugs, wash sheets, dry and put away clothes, work in the garden or flower bed.  Lest you worry about the picture below..... I didn't wash all those clothes. 

Our neighbor across the street uesd to wash our clothes, but they NEVER had enough time to dry, so they would always come back smelling mildewed.  So we started picking them up sooner so we could dry them ourselves.  This week Kevin started washing, at our house so they could dry... completely.  It has ben WONDERFUL wearing clothes that didn't smell gross!
I wasn't part of this Peanut planting party, but I did harvest the beans that used to be planted there! To plant peanuts (or g-nuts as they are called here) you need a partner. One digs the hole and the other one puts the seeds in the ground.

After chores we have free time.  I craft or start cooking while the girls get filthy playing with their friends from the neighborhood.

Sundays we have Church, then we have lunch, by the time we get home from all that there is just enough time to take a quick nap before starting to cook supper.

Well that is a quick look at my day in the life of  a: Stay at home mom... who is also a teacher... who is also trying to teach people how to follow Jesus!

1 comment:

katrina said...

Whew! That is a busy life. So glad you are able to do all of that and be part of everything as a family. Miss you guys. Blessings to you all!