Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's the little things....

Have you ever had something that you really wanted but just couldn't (or wouldn't) spend money to get it? I have had countless little things that I really wanted, but for what ever reason I couldn't get them, and yet they still ended up in my possession. You know the type of "things" I mean, the small, petty ones that you really don't even pray about cause they are too small or you think that it is selfish.

It's those type of "things" that mean the most when you receive them and help you remember that our God, who created the Universe, cares about you and the things you want. For example:
When I was pregnant with Mekala, I was craving lasagna, but we were so "poor" that I couldn't buy any. However I received a phone call from a friend and he began to tell me how he and his wife had hosted a meeting and how there was all this food left over and how they were going out of town....... (can you guess where this is going?) and he asked if we would be interested in taking his left over lasagna. Yes lasagna.

That was the first time I remember being blessed with some of the little things in life.

The most recent blessing came in a different form (sorta).

I have memories of movie night and air popped popcorn. I have no idea how often we popped popcorn, but I remember being fascinated by the process. Now a days by popping in the microwave you loose the "magic" of popcorn. So guess what I have always wanted:
A popcorn maker. Guess what I just got.

A popcorn maker. A way cool, watch it pop, eat it hot and crispy, choose your own flavors popcorn maker. This cool "thing" was given to me (us) by another family in our life group. It has been well used and much loved, and I think it will find it's new home very enjoyable.

God is awesome!!!! I have so many more faith building "things" that God has given me over the years, but I won't bore you with all of them. Just remember:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart." Ps 139:23

"How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!!" Ps 139:17

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" Matt 7:11

I'm not a bible scholar, but in my humble opinion, I think that God searches our heart in more ways than one, thinks about us a million times and "plots" the best way to bless us and then he gives us the little "things" that he finds us wanting. Because he IS our Father and he loves us and wants to give us good gifts. And just like any parent, it is fun to give your kids surprises and gifts that you know they want, but they haven't asked you for.

Jesus, thank you for being a generous, giving Father. Thank you for seeing the little "things" and choosing to bless us with them. For spoiling us and helping us find joy in the simple. You are wonderful and I am proud to call you Daddy.

No comments: